In previous parts of this tutorial I explained how to configure DOSBox with little effort so launching QuickBASIC on Windows 7 and higher is a breeze. But it can get even easier: BASIC 2 DOSBox! This little program does all the work for you. Merely the installation of DOSBox is required. BASIC 2 DOSBox is available after downloading/unzipping and can be launched by double clicking the basic2dos.exe file.
The following information (except Options) will be needed (Fig. 10.1):
[Fig. 10.1 - 10.2: BASIC 2 DOSBox]
- Path to DOSBox Executable: Please enter the full path to DOSBox.exe; e.g .: C:\oldDOS\DOSBox\DOSBox.exe
- Path to BASIC Destination Folder: Full path to a folder of your choice, e.g.: C:\oldDOS\
- Installation: Select at least one BASIC version
- Shut down DOSBox when exiting: If selected, DOSBox will be terminated after exiting QuickBASIC or any other application respectively
- Full-Screen Mode: If checked, DOSBox will be launched in full-screen mode
- Copy Example Files: This will copy seven sample programs to _source\EXAMPLES:
- Click Next. Once the installation is complete, confirm with "Yes" to quit (Fig. 10.2).